Receive the newsletter Log In
fr
 
en
 

one day in czestochowa

On July 19th 2016, all groups from the Community of St John will arrive by car or plane in Poland, and our first visit will be for Mary to whom we will entrust our WYD:

  • 10:00 am: welcome by the Prior General of the Community of Saint John on the esplanade
  • 12 am: lunch
  • moment of devotion in groups to the Black Virgin
  • 3 pm: mass at the sanctuary then departure to Katowice our welcoming diocese

image

image

A little bit of history...

In 1382 king Ladislas orders to build a monastery on the hill of Jasna Gora (Luminous Mount) which overlooks the small village of Czestochowa, in the south of Poland. In 1384, he gives an icon of the Virgin Mary (they say that it was painted by St Luke on the board used as a table by the Holy Family. Soon enough, pilgrims come together and receive multiplied blessings. But on Easter 1430, the monastery is attacked by the Hussite disciples (a Czech heretic movement); they empty it and profane the icon with a sabre, leaving two scars on Mary’s cheeks. Later on, the monastery is fortified, thus becoming an important defence centre. In 1655, it enables king John Casimir to win the battle against Sweden. Then a year later, he proclaims Mary Queen of Poland

Soon enough, Czestochowa became one of the most important Marian sanctuaries of Central and Eastern Europe. Today it welcomes 4 to 5 million pilgrims a year, coming to venerate the icon of the Virgin now called «the Black Madonna» because of its darkened colours over time.